Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Summer Hiatus?

I always have such big plans for the summer. Last year, I wanted to read 10 books. I read 2. This year, I wised up and set no such goal. Heck, if I read 2 books this summer I'll be thrilled. Well, I've done a little better than that in preparing for Newbery season and Heavy Medal discussions.

I try to choose books carefully. Of course, I want to read the Newbery frontrunners, but I also want to read books for me . . . books that I know will not be contenders but I enjoy, and books that could be dark horse contenders and need someone to champion them. I think I may have already found one of those . . .

I read my good pal Patrick Jennings' latest, INVASION OF THE DOGNAPPERS as the school year came to a close, as well as Jennifer Nielsen's THE FALSE PRINCE. I'll post official "reviews" soon, but I'll wet the appetite a bit by saying I liked one, and don't know what to think about the other.

Then I went on to read THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN by Katherine Applegate. I am currently reading THE CASE OF THE DEADLY DESPERADOS by Caroline Lawrence and Sara Pennypacker's SUMMER OF THE GYPSY MOTHS is sitting on the nightstand waiting to be opened.

Books I want to read because they WILL be talked about this winter:
- WONDER
- THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN
- LIAR & SPY
- SPLENDORS & GLOOM
- SUMMER OF THE GYPSY MOTHS
- THREE TIMES LUCKY

Books I want to read that will probably not be in contention for ALA awards, but I want to read them anyways:
- THE INCORRIGIBLE CHILDREN OF ASHTON PLACE: THE UNSEEN GUEST
- INVASION OF THE DOGNAPPERS

Books I want to read that are not frontrunners, but look like my thing and may need a voice:
- THE CASE OF THE DEADLY DESPERADOS
- IN A GLASS GRIMMLY
- JAKE AND LILLY
- WHAT CAME FROM THE STARS
- THE MIGHTY MISS MALONE
- IRON HEARTED VIOLET
- THE HUMMING ROOM

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I really need to read books that I would have liked as a middle school student, and that gets me back on track. Very occasionally, I even read *gasp* books for adults! It's also hard to read books and then not be able to recommend them to students.

    ReplyDelete